Artists’ rendering and a lack of Bible teaching have caused misbeliefs (misconceptions) about the first Christmas. The following are some of the more popular.
1. Mary’s Donkey? No Mention in the Gospels of Mary Riding a Donkey. She May Have Ridden a Horse or a Horse-Drawn Cart, But Luke Doesn’t Say.
2. Innkeeper? No Mention of an “Innkeeper.” “No Room” Simply Means No Vacancy (Lk. 2:7).
3. Inn? The “Inn” Means “Guest Room,” the Upper Room in a Private Houe, Not a Motel (Lk. 2:7).
4. Star Over the Manger? The “Star” was For the Wise Men Only, But NOT for the Shepherds at the Manger (Matt. 2:1-2, 9-11).
5. Three Wise Men? No Mention of “Three” Wise Men (Matt. 2:1). There May Have Been More.
6. Three Kings? No Mention of Three “Kings,” Only WISE Men (Matt. 2:1).
7. Wise Men at the Manger? The Shepherds, Not the Wise Men, Arrive at the “Manger.” The Wise Men, Not the Shepherds, Arrive at the “House,” and Not at the Manger–AFTER Jesus was born (Matt. 2:1, 9-11).
8. Stable? No Mention of a Stable, a Barn, or a Cave. Only a “Manger” and a “House” (Matt. 2:11; Lk. 2:7).
9. Angels Singing? No Mention that the Angels Sang. They were Just “Praising” God (Lk. 2:13).
10. Dec. 25? No Mention that Jesus was Born on Dec. 25. The Shepherds Tended the Sheep “Out in the Fields” Between March to November, Not December. December would be too cold for both the Shepherds and the sheep.
The Christmas Date Does Not Matter. What Matters is the Announcement and Purpose of Jesus’ Birth–to Ultimately Save Us From Our Sin. “For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord” (Lk. 2:32, ESV).
The Question is Not Whether Jesus was Born on Dec. 25. The Question, Rather, is Whether Jesus is Your Savior and Lord Today. The Question is Whether You have Repented Your Sin and Received Jesus into Your Heart as Your Personal Savior and Lord.
Are You Saved From Your Sin? Have You Received God’s Forgiveness in Christ? Have You Accepted Jesus into Your Life?
Call on the Lord Now. He Will Save You from Your Sin. That is the Reason Why He Came.